Alright my old Empire!

I'm just a bloke in London who happens to be dissatisfied and in need of a place to vent. The purpose of this place is to talk about things that happen in and around London (England). Often I may use official statistics and economic theory as evidence, most of the time I will just be talkin' out my own Elephant and Castle!

Note: If you have come here for a bit of Anneka Rice you have come to the wrong place.

Sunday 20 January 2008

Ban the smoking ban

I make no secret about it - I am very anti smoking ban. I am not a smoker; I just like to have a puff or two once or twice a month when I’m with mates out on the pull. There’s nothing quite like havin’ a puff on the old Bensons whilst holding a Cinderella (Stella Artois) in one hand and buxom young lass in the other.

Anyway to the story – I went to Marble Arch last night after work. Being a man who enjoys the delights of all cultures, I thought I’d get myself a nice lamb shawarma kebab with hummus and the finest melon juice on Edgeware Road. This is the first time I have visited the Marble Arch area of Edgeware Road since the smoking ban and it seriously has had a negative impact on not only the ambience of the place but it has taken away a part of the cultural experience, the sheesha. In the warmer months the problem created by the smoking ban could be surmounted by just having the sheesha on the tables placed outside the front of cafe, but not in January. You must be off your rocker mate.

This smoking ban is more than just causing an inconvenience to the consumer like me; it is also having a negative bearing on the local business in the area. The Government’s policy has done more damage than good in this part of town all because it is of the current attitude of taking us for little kids. I know smoking is bad for the health but surely there must be a way to help these small businesses by making some amendments to the policy relating to smoking in public venues.

In the meantime I decided to go ahead and purchase a hookah pipe for myself, with some easy lighting coal and apple & cinnamon flavoured tobacco I can now pretend to be an appreciator of Middle Eastern culture in the comfort of my living room. Perhaps that will help me pull some more birds.

No comments: